French, Champagne Seal, Pol Roger & Co Seal

Pol Roger & Co Seal, Image by StuE, Found by Sue Clark
Found in Colchester region, ?mm.

Small domed button shaped rivet seal with POL ROGER & Co followed by a 5 pointed star written around the edge. On the reverse sunken within the dome 1/2 is written.

Champagne Pol Roger is one of the very few remaining houses still owned and run by the founding family, who remain responsible for the winemaking and selection of the cuvées each year.

Pol Roger was born on 24th December 1831 in the village of Aÿ. He elected not to follow his father's footsteps by entering the law, but received his support when he showed a determined interest in the wine trade. Pol set up in Aÿ as a négociant or wholesaler at the age of 17, drawing initial business from his family's contacts and clients of his father.

The following year, 1849, saw the birth of the new champagne house as Pol Roger began to create his own cuvées (for release from 1853) rather than bring in wines solely from other houses. His sales for the first six months of operation were 3,769 bottles and 825 half-bottles. Today that has grown to around 1.5 million bottles per annum.
In 1908 Winston Churchill, then in the Cabinet as President of the Board of Trade, became a customer for the first time, beginning a lifelong association with the brand.
The Royal Warrant was awarded to Pol Roger in 1911 and Pol Roger was served at the Guildhall luncheon held on George V's Coronation Day, 30th June. See Pol Roger The History of the Family

Photo info