German, Stassfurt, Salt Seal

German, Stassfurt, Salt Seal, Image & Found by Charles McKinnie.
Found at Bishop Middleham, County Durham, 25mm.


Identified by Jan van Oostveen & Philippe Lanez.

Staßfurt (Stassfurt) is a town in the Salzlandkreis district, in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is situated on both sides of the river Bode, approximately 15 km (9.3 mi) northeast of Aschersleben, and 30 km (19 mi) south of Magdeburg.

Also from WikipediaSalt production at the Staßfurter Sattel, "The salt production at the Staßfurter Sattel has been proven to date back to the 8th century. The underground of the urban area of Staßfurt is formed by a geological anticline structure, the Staßfurt-Egelner-Rogensteinsattel , to which the salt deposits are bound. The region around Staßfurt on the southern edge of the Magdeburger Börde is considered the cradle of global potash mining.
Potash salts, formerly known as "Staßfurter salts", are largely processed into fertilizers and have thus been for over one and a half centuries of great importance for agriculture."

From Philippe Lanez, "Salzgewinnung am Staßfurter Sattel - union "Neustaßfurt".
[...] " Owner: above union [8]

Board: Consul a. D. Stem in Staßfurt.

Representative: Kommerzienrat Besserer in Staßfurt.

Number of Kuxe : 1000.

Number of shafts: 3 (shaft "Hammacher" and "Agathe" near Löderburg, shaft IV, reserve, near Rothenförde).

Average production per day: 200 t rock salt and 900 t potash salts.

Treatment plants: Chloral potassium, caustic potash and potash factory. [...]

Siding after the stations Staßfurt and Löderburg.

Operating equipment: electrical center for power and light.

Directorate: Mine director Hoben in Löderburg.

Operator: Berginspektor Hermes, machine operator Zöhe in Löderburg.

Average number of workers: 1080 men. Member of the Kali Syndicate [sic].

Note: concerning the number of shafts: 3: This is the entry in the "Yearbook of the German lignite,

Hard coal and potash industry "from 1907 (further shafts are listed below).

The union Neu-Staßfurt devastated a total of 8 shafts. Starting with shaft "Agathe" followed the shafts "Hammacher" and "weather shaft III".

After the drowning of these facilities in 1912, the pits IV to VIII remained or were drilled. With the sinking of the latter, "Bay VIII", was begun in 1913; but this work was discontinued in the spring of 1914."

Photo info