Not a Seal, Pease & Partners Ltd, Tub Token

Not a Seal, Pease & Partners Ltd, Tub Token, Image & Found by Braveheart.
Found in West Yorks.

The front has a recessed oblong with the number 40 beside a hole used for attachment no doubt. On the raised outside border is PEASE along the top, PARTNERS along the bottom and LTD up the edge nearest the 40. The other side is blank.

From the finder, "It is a tub token made of lead, used for miners to attatch to tubs so they get paid."

Some of the history of Pease & Partners Ltd. can be found here

"1924 Company Notes

Registered – October 11, 1898, as a reconstruction of a company of same name (see vol. for 1900). The company owns collieries and limestone quarries in counties Durham and Yorkshire, and ironstone mines in North Riding, Yorkshire, also various works, railways, lands, &c. Properties taken over or since acquired (partly freehold and partly leasehold) :– Collieries: Esh, Waterhouses, Ushaw Moor, Wooley, Bowden Close, Roddymoor, Saint Helens, Windlestone, Eldon and Thorne (Yorks.). Limestone Quarries: Frosterley, Rogerley, Brown's Houses, Bishop Middleham, Chilton, Fineburn and Harehope. Ironstone Mines: Upleatham, Loftus, Whitecliffe, Lingdale, and Ayton. The amount of the purchase consideration for the whole of the properties and undertaking of the old company (except £500,000 debentures, which the old company agreed to pay off) was fixed at £1,400,000, £233,330 to be paid in 23,333 fully-paid £10 ordinary shares, £300,000 in 30,000 fully-paid £10 deferred shares and the balance in cash. The company has also acquired the Tees Iron Works from Wilsons, Pease & Co., Ltd., two-thirds interest in the ordinary shares of William Whitwell and Co., Ltd., owning blast furnaces, coke ovens, &c.. at Thornaby-on-Tees, an interest in the Horden Collieries, Ltd., a lease of the Skinningrove Iron Works as from October 1, 1922, with option for five years to purchase, large coal royalties at Thorne, South Yorkshire, and in July, 1923, acquired the undertaking of the Normanby Iron Works Co., Ltd. During the early part of 1916, the undertaking of the Tees Bridge Iron Co., Ltd., was acquired, and in 1918 the entire share capital of T. & R. W. Bower, Ltd., owning the Allerton Main Collieries, near Kippax, West Yorkshire, was purchased for £300,000, payable £34,000 cash and £266,000 in War Loan stock. The freehold estate of 3,000 acres from which the bulk of the coal is won was subsequently acquired. In April, 1920, the issued capital of Henry Stobart and Co., Ltd., and the North Bitchburn Coal Co., Ltd , both owning collieries, by-product Ovens, &c., in Co. Durham, were purchased for £306,250 cash and 367,857 fully-paid £1 shares.

Output – The outputs of some of the chief products of the company for the six years and 11 months ending March 31, 1923, including the outputs of the subsidiary companies from the dates at which they were acquired, have been as follows:–

In October, 1922, the resources of minerals of the company and its subsidiaries in which it owns the whole of the share capital were estimated as follows; Freehold: coal, 57,200 000 tons; ironstone, 5,200,000 tons; limestone, 200,000 tons. Leasehold : coal 345,700,000 tons ; ironstone, 41,400,000 tons ; limestone, 9,000,000 tons."

Photo info

View more information