Cloth Seal, Clothier's Seal, Exeter, Andrew Lavington

Cloth Seal, Clothier's Seal, Exeter, Andrew Lavington, Image & Submitted by Jose de Sousa.
Found near Lisbon, Portugal, 22.3mm, 8.1g.

Missing // scallop / EXON, ANDREW LAVINGTON around // 22 in square border // missing

The inner discs from a four-disc cloth seal of the Exeter clothier Andrew Lavington.

From Mike Patrick, "In the early 18th century the Lavington family owned the ancient property of Larkbeare, a large house just outside the South gate of Exeter.

In 1706 the house belonged to Mrs. Jane Lavington, widow, and was settled on the marriage of her son Andrew Lavington with Elizabeth Cock, daughter of Edmund Cock, a merchant-fuller.[see BSG.CS.00839]

On 19th April 1708 Andrew Lavington, fuller, son of John Lavington, became freeman of the City of Exeter by succession. During the early years of the 18th century Andrew was one of the Exeter merchants who corresponded with the wealthy importer David Leeuw of Amsterdam.

A little memento of the Lavingtons was visible to every passer-by on the summit of old Larkbeare House, where a weather vane of good design bore the initials of Andrew Lavington, with the date 1714 pierced through the metal.

Another reminiscence of the Lavingtons is to be found in the following advertisement, published in "The Protestant Mercury or Exeter Post Boy," printed in 1716 by Joseph Bliss: "A TENEMENT TO BE LETT, BEING the Fore Part of Larkbeare House, without Southgate, Exon, containing a Kitchen with a little Room by, a large Parlour and a Cellar, with a Chamber over the Cellar; also 5 Lodging Chambers with 3 Closets; likewise a Garden; being very fit for a Private Family or anyone who chooseth to live without the limits of the City. You may inquire of Mr. Lavington at Larkbeare House, who is ready to treat with any Person about the same.

In 1728, Lavington handled the transfer of a property called Widdicombe to the Company of Weavers, Tuckers and Shearmen in respect of a legacy from the late Mr Andrew Jeffery.

In the year 1733 the funds of the Rectory of St. Leonards were augmented by a Benefaction of £25 from Mr. Andrew Lavington.

In 1737 Larkbeare House was purchased by another Exeter merchant, John Baring (1697-1748), who was then residing at Palace Gate. Baring purchased the advowson of the parish of St. Leonard's from the assignees under a commission of bankruptcy awarded against Andrew Lavington and Richard Paule, merchants. Baring, originally from Bremen, had been an apprentice with Lavington’s father-in-law, Edmund Cock.

In 1741, Andrew Lavington, the new Warden of the Company of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen of Exeter, undertook to attempt to sort out its accounts following financial problems. In course of this he copied The Wardens' Accounts for 1638-1743 into a new ledger (to the benefit of subsequent historians).

On Apr 28th 1744, Andrew Lavington of Holy Trinity Parish, Exeter, was buried in the churchyard of St Leonard’s."

Photo info

Navigator

  • French, Flour Bag Seal, Corbeil
  • Cloth Seal, Company, 1711 - 1853, South Seas & Fisheries
  • Russian, Archangel Distillery Seal
  • Cloth Seal, Sandwich, Cinque Ports
  • Russian, (Latvian), Liepāja, Berend & Co Seal
  • K & M Seal
  • Cloth Seal, Cloth Worker's Personal Seal, Pictorial Device, Bovine Animal
  • Cloth Seal, Clothier's Seal, Exeter, Andrew Lavington
  • French, Cement Seal, Portland, Desvres
  • Cloth Seal, Dutch, De Rijp
  • ~+ List of Cloth Seals 1501-1600
  • Cloth Seal, Cloth Worker's Personal Seal, Privy Mark, TG, 1575~1800
  • French, Flour Bag Seal, Moulins de Nantes Societe
  • Not a Seal - Window Came with Attachment Ring
  • Belgian, Cockerel Seal
View more information